I was reading a list of suggested New Year Resolutions for the Pope, last week. While the list (which was not written by either the Pope, or the Vatican), had some great suggestions, it had me thinking about what David would list as his resolutions. The first five may not be very surprising, but after that, some are unexpected.
The cross references to the resolutions is separate, so the resolutions are in David’s own voice. Psalm 101 is included below, as it was the source of the idea. I have added additional clarification of the wording.
God bless you all.
- Praise the Lord at all times.
- Boast only in the Lord, and glorify His Name, not my own.
- Pray in the morning and the evening, especially when things get rough.
- Meditate on the Word of God, and His goodness.
- Wait patiently for God’s help and hope only in Him.
- Be strong and courageous.
- Work to make what I say and what I think, pleasing to the Lord.
- Fulfil my promises to God.
- Spend my time around Godly people.
- Manage my anger.
- Tell people about God.
- Act in a godly way within my own home, so I have no guilt in my heart.
References to match the resolutions:
- Psalms 56:10, 31:7, 34:1
- Psalms 34:2, 86:13
- Psalm 55:16-17
- Psalm 63:6
- Psalms 22:14, 62:1-2 and 5-6, 37:7 39:7, 52:9b
- Psalm 27:14
- Psalms 19:14, 101:3
- Psalms 22:25, 61:8
- Psalms 16:3, 101:4-7 – not the worthless, wicked or evil.
- Psalms 4:4-5, 37:8
- Psalms 40:9-10, 51:12-13, 71:15
- Psalm 101:2
Psalm 101: A Psalm of David
I will sing of your love and justice; to you, Lord, I will sing praise. I will be careful to lead a blameless life: when will you come to me? I will conduct the affairs of my house with a *blameless heart. (*integrity, perfect) I will not look with approval on anything that is *vile. (*evil, wicked, base) I hate what *faithless people do; (*those who fall away or turn away from God) I will have no part in it. (won't cleave to) The *perverse of heart shall be far from me; (*devious, perverted, evil, fraudulent) I will have nothing to do with what is evil. Whoever slanders their neighbour in secret, I will put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, I will not tolerate. My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; the one whose walk is blameless will minister to me. No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence. Every morning I will put to silence all the wicked in the land; I will cut off every evildoer from the city of the Lord. New Living Translation
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.